Are you tossing up between Invisalign and braces? Not sure which is best for you? Don’t worry you’re not the only one confused and needing some definitive answers. Let’s get into it, and settle the debate once and for all: Invisalign or Braces? This article explains the pros and cons of each, and we’ll help you decide on what’s best for you, and your teeth.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a custom aligner tray that slots into the mouth. Over time, Invisalign will shift and straighten your teeth. The most attractive qualities about Invisalign is its transparent design, and ability to remove the aligner. However it’s recommended that Invisalign remains in your mouth, with the exception of when you eat.
What Are Braces?
Braces have evolved more than you think they have. No more ugly metal colours and uncomfortable wiring. Braces remain true to tradition as metal glued to your teeth and tied together with wire and rubber bands. But now, the brackets can be matched to the colour of your enamel, although they aren’t quite as subtle as Invisalign.
The Pros and Cons
Before deciding on what’s best for you, it’s important to have all the information. Braces or Invisalign? Who’s gonna win – let’s find out!
- Available at more dental/orthodontist practices.
- Cost effective.
- Longer case history surrounding the treatment.
- Doesn’t rely on patient self sufficiency – i.e. won’t forget to wear the allingers.
- Fast results.
- Transparent and less noticeable.
- No wires like traditional braces – much more comfortable to the user.
- Low maintenance.
- Can be removed for eating.
- Good for sports.
- Less trips to the dentist.
- Discomfort and soreness is commonly experienced.
- Not ideal for sports.
- Can’t eat sticky foods – i.e. Gum.
- Tooth discolouration.
- Regular check ups with the orthodontist/dentist for tightening.
- More expensive than traditional braces.
- Treatment takes longer.
- Discomfort when breaking in a new aligner tray.
- Not suitable for all types of tooth misalignment.
- Not available at all orthodontists, or dental practices.
How To Decide What’s Best For You
There you have it. The truth is in the pros and cons list. But honestly – it depends on the user, and their situation. For faster results, traditional braces are the way to go. Now with a more discreet look, traditional braces can be acceptable – especially if you want to get the treatment over and done with! However, Invisalign is great option for those who want a discreet treatment – and they are especially popular with adults. Although Invisalign is more expensive, and less widely available, it’s a good option for people who want the flexibility of being able to remove the aligner, and to make less of a statement.Leave a reply →